To do what I do requires a certain mindset. Hopefully in the next few paragraphs I can give you a glimpse into me and what makes me tick.
I’m a computer engineer that simply loves getting things done. My passion is information and getting it into the hands of the people that need it. Never before has it been this exciting to work with information. There are so many amazing technologies that allow you to move, transform and present information to users no matter where they are or what they are doing. I believe that people deserve better access to information, don’t you?
How I do it:
- I am priviledged to be in a position to lead an extraordinary team of talented professionals. To me leadership is a complex blend of listening, trusting and guiding. The team is held in higher regard than any individual, we succeed together and fail together. We always back each other up, no one sells anyone out.
- My Motto is simple: fail hard, fail fast, burn it down, re-iterate. You cannot fear failure. You should fear complacency.
- I do not tolerate complacency. Not personally or with anyone I work with. The words, “It’s not my problem/job” are a death sentence (professionally) in my presence. Anyone who ever did something awesome likely stepped outside their comfort zone.
- Be comfortable with being uncomfortable. Everyday I do one thing that terrifies me.
- I’m also a bit crazy. This is important because I rely on this streak to drive my creativity.
- I’m decisive. Painfully. The truth of the matter is this: you will make 10 decisions a day and 9 of them are likely wrong. You have to accept this and keep moving forward. If it were easy, everyone would do it. Make the best decision you can and live with it.
What I do:
- Operations! You need an operations team built from scratch? Talk to me. I’ve done it and it is a great achievement and a wonderful journey.
- Systems Engineering! Taking products and gluing together is one of my favourite things to do. I’m pretty good at it too.
- Training! I love teaching people things.
- Support! Not only have I been a support guy I’ve also built support teams, systems and tools.
- Continuous Delivery! This is one of my favourites. The mising link in agile is the ability to get your goods into the hands of users at the end of an iteration (if you so choose). Implementing continuous delivery pipelines is some of the best work you can do. Everyone needs it!